With so many great memories from the past year, our team at Graydient Creative is looking forward to everything 2017 may bring. To officially wrap up our first year as an independent agency and kickoff our next chapter, we’ve put together a list of 17 motivational tips that will keep our digital team [and you!] humble, happy, and successful.
1. Ask questions. Seek answers.
- The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. We all know that two heads are better than one. Even if the person you reach out to doesn’t know the answer, they’ll know where to go to find the solution. If you don’t know – ask.
2. Test yo’ self.
- Quality assurance starts with you. Everything should be reviewed before release. When the project you’re working on is passed on to the next person, there should be no surprises. Everything should have already been mentioned or fixed altogether.
3. You manage what you measure.
- Make a list of your upcoming assignments and track your time – it allows better estimates moving forward. Make not of any tasks that are taking too much of your time, maybe they can be automated in the future. [Am I the only one who feels accomplished with a completed to do list?!]
4. Thank you is always the right response.
- When in doubt, say thank you. An attitude of gratitude will always be in vogue.
5. Step back and squint.
- We often get lost in our own worlds or limit our vision to what we know. When questioning something, take a step back and imagine it from another perspective. You’ll see something you didn’t notice before and it’ll improve your work.
6. Remember the magic mirror.
- Our fearless leader, Shawn, once provided the whole team with mirrors, and let us know they were magic. When something comes up, you can ask it, “Who can help?” The answer will always appear. Remember #1 – you need not have all the answers; you just need to know where to find them.
7. Speak up.
- Maybe something isn’t right, or maybe you think the button should really be blue but they chose red. No matter the situation, speak up and tell us what’s on your mind. Chances are you’re right, and somebody else is having the same thoughts.
8. Optional attendance, mandatory participation.
- While it may be highly recommended, meeting attendance is always optional. If you have nothing to contribute, or nothing to gain, decline the invitation. [Just be prepared to say why.] Use your time wisely.
9. Never aspire to normal.
- The craziest ideas may never work, but it could inspire someone else to come up with something that would. Always dream bigger and aim higher than average. Worst-case scenario, you’ll land among the others.
10. When in doubt, talk/coffee it out.
- Slack a teammate. Take a coffee break. Giving yourself some distance from the situation will allow you to re-approach it with fresh eyes, and your friend might be able to offer you some insights.
11. Be a Satisficer.
- Satisfy + Suffice = Satisfice! Aim for perfection and accept your best shot. Apply what you learned for next time, because tyou’re only going to get better with practice.
12. Bump the lamp [when you can].
- Meet the requirements and then bump the lamp. [Roger Rabbit] Going above and beyond the call of duty may not only impress the people around you, but yourself as well. Turn the ordinary into extraordinary.
13. Do more of what you love.
- You’re here almost more than you’re home – let’s make sure you’re happy. Determine what you love and make that your mission. In addition to that, tell your captain (team leader) what you love – we want you to do more of it.
14. Teamwork makes the dream work.
- We work as a team. We succeed as a team. We’re all in this together.
15. Don’t be afraid to fail.
- Fail fast, fail often, fail forward. Use each shortcoming as a learning opportunity and move on. Don’t be afraid to cut your losses quickly, either. Sometimes you can make great strides by moving on early and starting the next big thing.
16. Show, don’t tell.
- We work in a visual medium, be it design, front end code, back-end systems, or words on a page. If you’re hungry – prove it. Show me what you’ve got.
17. Share what you know.
- I often forget, other people don’t actually exist in my head (thank you, Dr. X 😉 JK!), and it’s highly unlikely they know what you know. Share the love – use every opportunity to educate.
We hope you enjoyed our list of 17 inspirational tips for 2017. Maybe you’ll be able to apply them to your life and/or workplace. Let us know if there’s an motivational quote or reminder that you would add to the list in the comments or you can tweet us!